Breast Cancer

Breast Cancer

Monday, October 11, 2010

First Oncology Visit

Well the day came, my first visit to an oncologist.  Oh boy, I was sitting in the waiting room looking around and just could not believe I was there.  Kept thinking it was a dream.  Once my name was called I went back. Was roomed and tried to relax.  You see as soon as I hear the word cancer my mind goes blank.  I am lucky that my husband came with me to every appointment.  He was my eyes and ears and my support.  I would not have made it through any of this without him. 

The doctor came in aw he was great. Great personality and he talked to me a bit.  He told me four chemo treatments were needed.  We dont know if any cancer cells went through any other part of the body so we need to get them.  He told me I needed to go to a chemo class.  The nurse would go over everything needed and what to expect from my treatments.  Okay Chemo Class..hahahaha, that was a good one. 

We asked questions well my husband did, I still could not comprehend why? The doctor told me the nurse would call and set me up for class.  Once I went through my class then my chemo would be scheduled.  So trying to make myself laugh if I fail the class do I not have to go....lol.....dont think it works that way but you have to laugh about it.

It took about two days and I got the call, got set up for my class in the morning on a Monday.  My husband wanted to come and I was glad he was.  I just kept telling myself things will be okay just have to keep going and not give up.

We went to class, a very nice nurse was there and she handed me a folder.  Another gentleman was there as well taking the class with me.  I kept wondering what kind of cancer does he have.  I hope things work out for him okay. The nurse told me what to expect, losing my hair and so on.  Not to eat fatty foods after, and there is always a nurse to call if there are any questions.  The folder contained wig information, and classes I can go to to help with my hair and skin problems.  But I just took the folder and put it down did not want to look at it too much.

Once the class was over, me and the other gentleman shook hands and wished each other luck. We wished each other well in our fate.  So I took my husbands hand and we went to go down stairs to get the car.

As I walked outside, for the first time it just hit hard what I was going through.  My husband saw my face and walked me over to sit down.  I started crying, not because I felt sorry for myself but I was just scared. Sure it is normal, but this stuff was going to go through my body and I had to just let it to get better. I cannot believe it!

We got the car and went home.  I felt better and was awaiting a call from the oncology nurse to schedule my first chemo appointment.  I was hoping maybe they would not call, or maybe have a wrong number for me..but you know that would never happen. 

I received the call, and got set up for two weeks from my class appointment. Well, lets just say fear set in again.  I called the nurse because I was trying to postpone it even longer. She said it is best to get started as soon as you can once you get going it will be okay. Dont be afraid we are all here for you.

I let my husband know that every two weeks on a Thursday would be my day.  He told me he wanted to come with me and sit and that meant the world to me.  I did not want to be alone and I knew once this journey starts I would never be.

No comments:

Post a Comment