Breast Cancer

Breast Cancer

Friday, September 10, 2010

When it all began

On March 28, 2008, after going through two biopsies one actually coming back normal and waiting for the result of the other one I got the call.  It only took one day for the result, I was in a lot of pain considering they had to put two needles in my breast to get the samples they needed.  Laying on a table face down while your breast in through a hole in the table was not the most comfortable thing but I made it. 

You know you pray you never hear those words, but when I picked up the phone I just knew it was coming.  The doctor told me sorry to tell you this, (Okay that is not going to be good) you have breast cancer.  We need to refer you to a surgeon for consult.  I was trying to breath and felt such a heaviness in my chest.  I was alone when I got that call, my husband was working.  After I hung up the phone still trying to process what she said, I called my husband.  I screamed, I HAVE BREAST CANCER!. That is all I could say.  I heard him be quiet and said it will be okay. 

I knew he was on his way home, but I had one more call to make.  To tell my family what I have heard.  I called and got my mom, the only words I could say is I have cancer.  My mom did not want me to get off the phone but I needed to process that day what I have heard.  My cousin Lisa, about eight months ago was diagnosed with breast cancer too.  She called me right away and I heard her say You will be alright.  Its okay you will be fine remember that.  Her call put me at ease that day. It meant the world to me. 

Now I have to wait one week to get to the surgeon to see what will be next.  Waiting is the worst thing you can do when you are scared, but I kept myself busy and prayed each day that I will make it through.  When my husband got home he grabbed me told me to cry let it out, but I could not, I could not let any feelings out all i wanted was it to go away.

2 comments:

  1. To tell this story, to post this photo, takes more fortitude than most people could muster. I know Nancy from high school & she's always had a little something more in her than the others.
    Nancy, I'm totally impressed with your willingness to reach out to other's who may be going through the same thing now!
    Good on ya :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Nancy,

    I am so happy to see you blog about your journey. I have two different blogs about two different journeys I have taken both now which overlap. It is not hard writing about an experience such as this (my first blog was not easy as there are some stories in there that are quite personal and painful memories) But the victory and triumph is worth it. To share with those who have been or are currently going through this journey. It is a bold step. I admire you for your work and fight against this disease. I cannot wait to read more. More about the joys. More about the sorrow. But even more about your strength and fight to win. Enjoy the rest of the journey. I look forward to following you on this journey through your blog.

    Lots of love,
    Eileen Mae

    ReplyDelete